Monday, January 10, 2011

Shep

The painting that spawned the story I've been working on the last two weeks (working title Shep, possible actual title... Syntrofos). It features the main two characters: Sabrina Shepherd, a software designer working on a groundbreaking AI, and Obsidian, a reputable bounty hunter.

Main two influences here were Daft Punk (seen in the helmet, and the general feel... I must have listened to Daft Punk for a week straight) and Mass Effect. Those were also where I got the title. Shep is obviously a nod to Commander Shepard from ME, but also to the lesser known character Shep from the anime movie (Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem) compiled from the music videos of Daft Punk's album Discovery.

Even though the colors here are horrendous (the sallow hues in Shep's skin completely ruined the painting, and I may repaint it someday) it was a great achievement for me personally, because I drew everything from imagination and improvised Obsidian's armor. Not only that, but I'm in love with the story it spawned.




A note on this one: I originally planned to have Obsidian in leather, as a more direct nod to Daft Punk. However, it looked like a sad excuse for a turtleneck, so I added armor instead. Note the uncomfortable resemblance to an Awkward Family Photo.


Fun fact: I was in a floor meeting for my hall in the dorm when I painted the armor. I was shocked at how well it came out because my mind wasn't on what I was doing at all, and I didn't have internet access to look up examples of armor.




Armor Detail:

No comments:

Post a Comment