Monday, January 24, 2011

MaD T-Shirt Contest (pt. 1?)

So, Meg and Dia is having a t-shirt design contest. Which caused quite a stir among myself and my two friends.

These are a few ideas I brainstormed for it tonight, the ones on the left featuring Chandler from Meg's jewelry business. My favorite Chandler idea is the big one with the red balloon. Alyce brought up the point that she wasn't sure whether the band would want to use Chandler, since it's a separate entity, but he could always be replaced with an equally adorable robot... or semi-human figure. And of course, the idea of floating away on a balloon with your house disappearing came from "Your feet fly off the pavement / your house a tiny spec of dust" in Less of Me. The others aren't so much potential submissions as figuring out what to draw.

Alyce also suggested that I submit a typography design, since MaD have quite a few, very tasteful, retro typography based shirts. Out of the ideas here, the big one in the bottom right is my favorite. It feels like a classic novel (Alice in Wonderland comes to mind for me, and I thought about including an Alice motif, but I had a mental image of a stick figure Carlo walking up and bitch slapping me. "WE'VE DONE ALICE ALREADY, FOO'!").

... Suffice to say, I left it as it is.

The one on the top left is my least favorite. Something about the tilted E made me think of a cheesy sit com... D:

And I like the idea of text going up the side of the shirt, so that's my second favorite typography.

So those are my first two design ideas, in their rough incarnation (or for the typography, maybe final incarnation). For my last idea, I'm thinking of doing a realism sketch of a girl laying, maybe with a book, and the text "the place where I feel most like me / Meg & Dia" or something. That will be trickier, since I'll probably have to rope one of the girls in the dorm into posing for a reference so I don't have to worry about stock credits.

As for the color, I chose blue because I thought it looked good with all of them, but it could really be replaced with anything light.

1 comment:

  1. very very creative!
    i love all the designs.

    but i agree-the bottome right is the strongest. maybe a grungier typeface would help. the one centered far right is your next strongest. very nice!

    yeah, chandler might not be the best choice-hes kinda seperated from the band, like you said. but very easily replaceable.

    very very cool!!

    ReplyDelete